Shopify provide very easy-to-use DIY platform for all your eCommerce needs. To change the Store name, one needs to purchase a new domain name. It is the new Shopify store name address (URL) which you want your customers to use while visiting your Shopify store on the Internet.
Once you purchase a new Domain you need to add it to your Shopify web store.
Follow the four steps to add a new domain which you intend to change to the Shopify web store
- Adding the new domain
- Updating CNAME record
- Verifying the new domain
- Set your new domain as a primary domain
Steps to add the new domain
- Navigate to Connect existing domain sections in your Shopify admin
[Alternatively you can choose Domains from the Online Store Sales Channels, and then select. Click “Connect existing domain”]
- Enter your new Shopify domain (Store name) which you want to change in the given text field:
- Select Next button to complete the first step.
In case you want to set your new domain with “WWW” as subdomain, please enter the same in the given field. For instance, your new store name is john- apparel, you can enter www.john-apparel.net. You can view all added domains in the Manage domain section of the Shopify. (Use delete button to remove any domain)
Now you need to update the CNAME record of Shopify to the newly purchased new domain.
Steps to update CNAME record
For all the Domains which are purchased from any Third party vendors like Godaddy, Hostgator, Fatcow etc then you need to update your DNS (Domain) settings and point your “A” record to Shopify’s IP address (188.8.131.52) and CNAME record to shops.myshopify.com
1) Navigate to your Domain provider website and Log in to the account with new Shopify store domain. Click here to understand more about domains
2) Search for DNS settings.
You can locate your domain account admin panel or DNS configuration or your domain management area, or similar
3) Once your choose DNS settings, look for a list of editable fields or check boxes or a table or drop-downs
- Add a new record with “@” or “A”
- Now, add the Shopify’s IP address in the destination field
- Save the newly added “A” record
Shopify’s IP Address: 184.108.40.206
4) Now, you need to add CNAME for pointing it to Shopify.
- Locate CNAME record and update “WWW” CNAME record to point to shops.myshopify.com
[Some domain provider has a Name field along with CNAME record; add a relevant Name, if it is showing]
- Save the CNAME Record (Click a Save button, if available or simply Add a new record or similar)
Congratulations! CNAME record added successfully.
Once you have added CNAME record successfully, you can proceed for verifying your new domain for your Shopify store.
Steps to verify the new domain in Shopify
Choose Verify connection to confirm the new domain connection in your Shopify admin panel.
It could take up to 48 hours for your new domain to point your Shopify store. Once your newly added Domain is successfully verified and pointing to your Shopify store, you need to set the new domain as a primary domain in your Shopify admin panel.
Steps to set your new domain as a primary domain
- Navigate to Domains section in your Shopify admin panel.
- Choose the new domain from Primary domain drop-down menu from the Set your primary domain section.
- Check the checkbox “Redirect all traffic to this domain”
- Click Save to complete the process.
Your visitors now will be able to access your new storefront with the set primary domain. You can also develop an Mobile App for your Shopify Store in 10 minutes using shopify mobile app DIY platform
This video talks about why it’s important to buy your own domains name, what kind of language you need to understand, and what settings to configure with a third-party provider.