Placing a test order
You can place a test order to check if the checkout process and setting for order processing, shipping, inventory and taxes are all correct.
There will be no charge for a test order. Any order that is cancelled and refunded is not subjected to the transaction fees. You should always place a test order while setting up your store or whenever you make changes to your payment settings.
You can place a test order in two ways:
- Use Shopify’s Bogus Gateway
- Use a real payment provider and then immediately cancel and refund the order.
Place a test order using Shopify’s Bogus Gateway
To place an order using Shopify’s Bogus Gateway, you need to follow these steps:
- On the Shopify Admin, click on Settings, and then Payments
- If you have enabled your credit card provider, then you have to deactivate it before continuing. Click on Edit and then Deactivate and confirm your deactivation
- You will now see the Accept Credit Cards section. Over there, click on Add a Provider
- Select Third Party Credit Card provider, and then open the Provider drop down menu
- Under Other choose (for testing) Bogus Gateway
- Click Continue and then Activate
- On your online store, place an order as a customer would and at checkout, enter the following credit card details instead of genuine credit card details:
|Name on card||Enter Bogus Gateway|
|Credit card number||Enter each of these in turn to simulate different types of transaction:
|CVV||Enter any 3-digit number (for example, 111.)|
|Expiry Date||Enter any date in the future.
- After you’re done testing, click on Change provider on the Payments page in your Shopify admin and reset your payment provider.
Place a test order using a real payment provider
To place an order using a real payment provider, you need to follow these steps:
- Ensure that you have set up the payment provider that you would like to test.
- Purchase a product from your store just as a customer would, and complete the checkout using genuine credit card details.
- If you are using a third party payment provider, then log in to your payment provider to check if the funds were processed.
- Cancel and refund the order to refund yourself and avoid paying any transaction fees.