Swipe (audio-jack) card reader: Available only from Shopify
The Swipe card reader is a lightweight and low cost solution for stores that are mobile. The card reader plugs into the audio jack of your iPhone, iPad or any Android Device. If you are using an iPhone or an iPad, then the card reader can be disabled from the General settings to access the audio jack for music.
- To use the Swipe card readers supported by Shopify, you will need to have Shopify Payments or a POS supported payment provider enabled.
- Your POS device needs an internet connection to use the Swipe card reader, either using Wifi or the device’s cellular data.
Compatible Devices & Payment Providers
The table below shows the list of devices and payment providers supported by Swipe card reader:
The Swipe card reader can be purchased only from the Shopify Hardware Store in Canada.
How to install the Swipe card reader
You need to follow the below mentioned steps to install the Swipe card reader:
- Make sure the volume on your Android/iOS device is set to maximum and it is not on silent
- Plug the card reader into the audio/headphone jack of the device
- In Shopify POS, tap on Store and the Settings
- Ensure that Use audio jack for card reader is enabled
The card reader won’t be detected if the device volume is not set to maximum.
How to swipe a card
Swipe the credit card across the card reader with the card’s magnetic strip facing towards you