The process for generating API credentials varies depending on whether you’re building a private app for a particular store or a public app for the Shopify App Store.
Generating Private API Credentials :
You can generate API credentials for a private app using your Partner dashboard or your Shopify admin panel. You can also use it to manipulate your store using the API console without creating an app. You can read more about it here
- Generating credentials using your Partner dashboard :
a. Login to your Partners dashboard
b. Click on Development stores
c. Click the name of the store you want to build for
d. From the Shopify admin, click on Apps
e. Click on Manage private apps
f. Click on Generate API credentials
g. Enter a Title
h. Click on Save. You’ll now be able to see your private API credentials
- Generating credentials using your Shopify admin panel :
a. Login to your Shopify admin panel
b. Click on Apps
c. Click on Manage private apps
d. Click on Generate API credentials
e. Enter a Title
Generating Public API Credentials :
When you create an app in your Partners dashboard, you will be asked to generate public API credentials for the app. All public applications on Shopify use Oauth authentication.
Here are the steps to generate public API credentials
- Login to your Partners dashboard
- Click on Apps – Create app
- Enter your App name and App URL. Check the box “I have read and agree to the Partner Program Agreement.”
- Click Create app
- From the App’s Overview page, click on Get API credentials.
- Scroll to the App credentials section to view API key and API secret key.