Exporting products on Shopify
You have the option of exporting your products to a CSV file if you wish to create a backup, move your products to a new Shopify store or edit them in bulk using a spreadsheet. Any changes you make to the products in the product CSV file will appear in your store’s product list if you import your product CSV file into your Shopify admin.
How to Export your products
To export your products you need to follow these steps:
- On Shopify admin, click on Products.
- Click on Export.
- From the dialog box that appears, choose the products that you want to export:
- Select the type of CSV file that you want to export:
- CSV file for Excel, Numbers, or another spreadsheet program. Use this format if you plan to use a spreadsheet program to edit your product CSV file.
- Plain CSV file. Use this format if you plan to use a plain-text editor with your product CSV file.
- Click Export products.
- An email is sent to you containing a secure download link. Click the link to retrieve your product CSV file.
If you don’t have a spreadsheet program, you can edit CSV files using a text editor.
To format your Products CSV file in a text editor, you need to:
- Separate column headers with commas (for example, Vendor,Type,Tags,Published)
- Wrap the list of tags in quotation marks (for example, “tag1,tag2,tag3”)
- Add line breaks to separate product records.
Filter and export your products list
You can use filters to organize your products list before exporting. If you need to change only some of your products, then you can add a filter. It could be easier to edit your products using a shortened CSV, rather than your entire product list.
To export a filtered product list to CSV:
- On the Products page in Shopify, add a filter using conditions to list only the necessary products.
- Export your products list, and make sure that you select the option to export only the products matching your search.
A CSV file containing only those products in your filtered list will export.
After you have made changes to your exported product CSV, you can import the CSV edited CSV file back to Shopify.